Sustainability at Callan Co-op
As a signal of our commitment to sustainability we have joined as a partner in the Teagasc Signpost Programme. It is our intention to actively communicate the measures promoted by this Programme to our Milk Suppliers.
The number of grain and dry stock enterprises may have reduced significantly over the years, we are still very much conscious of the active part played by those that remain in these spheres. These farmers form a key element of who we are as a Co-Op.
Callan Co-Op Homevalue is also a proud member of “Guaranteed Irish”. Being a Guaranteed Irish retailer in Ireland means that a business has met the strict criteria to be a part of the Guaranteed Irish network. This includes being an indigenous Irish business that contributes to the local economy, providing quality Irish-made products or services such as the new range of Canadia Flooring and the regular local producer stand. It all demonstrates a commitment to sustainability and social responsibility.
Teagasc Signpost Programme
The Signpost programme will be a multi-annual campaign to prompt climate action by all Irish farmers, and achieve early progress in reducing gaseous emissions from Irish agriculture (while also improving water quality, maintaining and in some cases improving) biodiversity and creating more profi table and sustainable farming enterprises.
What are the objectives of the programme?
1. To lead and support the transition of Irish farming towards more sustainable farming systems;
2. To reduce agricultural emissions, specifically,
- To reduce GHG emissions to the range 5 – 19.0 MtCO2 eq. by 2030; and
- To reduce ammonia emissions by 5% below 2005 levels, currently estimated at 5 kT NH3, also by 2030;
3. To reduce other negative environmental impacts of agriculture (specifically, to improve water quality and to improve biodiversity)