The Heritage & History of Callan Co-Op
How it began...
Callan Co-operative Society was set up over 100 years ago in 1899 and has been part of the community in Callan, a heritage we are extremely proud of. They realised that co-operation was the key to real progress for the farming community, this is still true today. Callan was an early traditional creamery, comprised a house-cart hight platform which overlooked the dairy which accommodated primitive dairy machine. The original equipment included a milk measuring pan, on a spring balance, a milk tank, a pre-heater, a separator, a butter churn and working table together with a storage tank for buttermilk.
Modernisation and Refurbishments
During the inital 14 years of operation, the original creamery building, plant and machinery had deteriorated. General refurbishments were common culminating in a new ‘modern’ boiler and churn’
Era of War
The new creamery, independent of the existing structure was built, just as Civil War was waging in Ireland.
Farmer’s Store on Green Street
A general “Farmer’s Store” opened on Green Street in 1919 initially to trade in farm requisites including feed, fertilizer, seeds etc.
This was a period of development, growth and a move into profitability with continued investment into tractors, mills and ploughs. In 1927 Knockulty Creamery was purchased.
Adversity makes us Stronger
Over the years, there was further investment into commercial trucks and tractors. However, in 1957 the cattle trade declined and debts increased, it was an adverse year for Callan Co-op.
Times are changing...
Times were changing. Yields fluctuated but Callan Co-op took on new roles assisting in improving silage quality and developing feedstuff. In the early 60’s the main emphasis was on milk and making butter.
Renovating through difficult times
Store renovations were undertaken in 1989 while profits reflected the difficult times for the country.
The Feed Mill to process the grain harvested by our local farmers initially in old Farmers Store but then moved to creamery site
Fit for Purpose
In the early noughties the Farmer’s Store which was on a different street was closed. The building that was originally the creamery was demolished with a new “fit for purpose” hardware store which incorporated “Farmers Store” was built in 2003.
End of the Feed Mill
Feed mill ceases operations
Moving On Up
Expansion of retail store and extensive re-development of yard and shop together with new branding representing the progressive nature of Callan Co-op and will hopefully set us up for the next 100 years!